Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cranberry Salsa Saves the Holiday Table!

Another yummy Guest post from Jessica!


Have you ever noticed that most Thanksgiving foods are brown? No matter how delicious or crave-worthy, they’re just not very pretty. Think about it. It starts with the turkey, which is brown. The stuffing? Brown. My mom makes some delicious wild rice, which is – you guessed it - brown. Pecan pie is brown. Even candied yams and pumpkin pie wind up being an orangey-brown, which is a better, but still not great. So unless you’re my dad (whose favorite color is brown….seriously), you might be looking for a little something to brighten up your table. Cranberry salsa is the perfect solution.

Cranberry salsa is a dish that my friend, Emma, introduced me to a few years ago. All of our friends fell in love with it immediately. It’s one of those super-easy dishes that everyone loves, and for which you wind up giving the recipe away at least once every time you take it to a party. It’s tart, sweet and has a little bit of spiciness to it at the same time, all while being aesthetically pleasing. Cranberry salsa is incredibly easy to make, and can pull double duty at either a Thanksgiving or Christmas gathering. Usually I’ve presented it as a snack with tortilla chips, but if you’re feeling really festive you could try it with sweet potato chips. Anyway, here’s the recipe.

(P.S. - Alex won’t eat this either, but for once I don’t mind his pickiness. More for me!)

Combine in a food processor or blender and chop until medium consistency:

1 (12 ounce) bag of cranberries
1 red onion, chopped
1 medium jalapeno, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Up to 1 cup of sugar (I usually start with ½ cup and sometimes add a little more if it’s too spicy)
½ cup cilantro (optional)

Other than eating it with chips, you could use it as a spread on your day-after Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich or really top anything with it. This is one of my favorite holiday foods, so I hope you love it just as much as I do!



No comments: