Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Jessica Cooks!

Now that Fall has arrived, many girls have embraced the change in weather by throwing on a pair of Ugg(ly) boots and a sweater. Having not experienced Fall in five years due to having lived in New Orleans, I'm not eager for it. As the temperature drops, I've been fighting to keep wearing my warm weather clothes and merely throw on my super cute fall jacket over the top.

There is one thing I have openly embraced, Fall Foods! The farmers market near our apartment is full of Swiss chard, pomegranates, squash, apples and other produce that conjures up images of savory dishes eaten while snuggling indoors. That being said, I decided I had to make this dish. Generally I like to cook things that my husband can enjoy. Seeing as he likes apples I thought he might like this. I was wrong. It turns out he only likes raw apples. More for me!

Butternut Squash with Fresh Herbs

1 Lg. Butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise and removed of useless thready part
5 T butter
3 apples, chopped into bite size pieces
8 sage leaves, chopped
1 1/2 T thyme, chopped
1 1/2 T rosemary, chopped

Set oven to 350 degrees. Place the squash cut side down in a pan and fill with 1/2' of water. 

Bake for 40 minutes until fork tender. You can also microwave the squash in a microwave- safe dish with the same amount of water for 5 to 10 minuets. When the squash is done, remove it from the pan and set it aside until it's cool enough to handle.

While it's cooling, add the butter to a saute pane on medium-high heat. Once melted, add the apples and herbs until the apple is fork tender.


Now back to the squash. Holding it by the skin, carefully score it into cubes and use a spoon to scoop it into the pan with the apples. Try not to make a huge mess while doing this like I did, as falling squash leads to a strange dance wherein one tries to keep the cat from eating scraps off the floor while encumbered with squashy hands.


Saute for 2-3 minuets for flavors to combine. Eat. Let me know how you like it!









Jessica! Thanks for this yummy recipe.


No comments: